Monday, December 5, 2011

I WRITE THEREFORE I AM

A couple of weeks or so ago, I posted information about a website called Ladies Who Critique. So far, I have found several wonderful people there and possibly a critiquing partner. That said, by spreading the word about the site, I was entered into a drawing. I never win anything, but I felt spreading the word was an important thing to do. Last week, I received an email that said my name had been drawn.

Today in the mail, I received my gift, a notepad with cover that read "I write therefore I am."

I have for a long time considered myself a writer, but the idea of writing has seeped into my blood. If I cut myself, I sometimes thing that words and letters would flow from my veins.

On the first day of a series of workshops I just completed, we were given a sheet of paper and told to put our names on them. The overwhelming majority of us put our name in one of the two upper corners. Then, the facilitator told us that that is how we think of ourselves as writers and that by the end of the four sessions, we would look at ourselves differently.

This past Saturday was the last day of the workshops, and I do look at myself differently as a writer.

1. As my notebook says "I write therefore I am."

2. I feel proud of myself as a writer.

3. I am setting time for my writing rather than hoping I get to it. (Hence this blog is being written Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights between 9 and 11 pm central time)

4. I have forged ahead and am working to finish my "worst first draft" of the novel Tomorrow Relies on Yesterday.

5. I am ready to attend a writer's convention and pitch my first novel, and my second, and my third.

How are you ready to say "I am a writer" and "I writer therefore I am."?

No comments:

Post a Comment