Saturday, April 14, 2012

REASONS TO JOIN A WRITER'S GROUP

This afternoon, I sat at a local library with other writers at a writer's group meeting. Although each of the writer's groups I am involved with meets only once a month, I feel that I am missing something that month if I don't make a meeting.

Here are my top reasons to join a writer's group. If you can't locate one near you, you could try one of the online groups.

1. Since so much of writing is done alone at one's computer or on paper, joining a writer's group connects you with like minded people. As a teacher, I am in a building with other teachers; although a nurse works with patients, the nurse is usually in contact with other nurses; likewise a mechanic works with other mechanics. A writer's group is one way to connect with other people who do the same work you do.

2. A writer's group and the speakers that make presentation create motivation. Although today's speaker was a children's author, I went away with the desire to sit down and get to work on my own pieces.

3. Being a member of a writer's group looks good on a resume. Likewise, becoming involved in the running of the organization (secretary, treasurer, newsletter editor) looks good on a resume.

4. Being involved in a writer's group can link you to a writing partner or mentor.

5. And finally, joining a writer's group can be just plain fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment