Monday, January 3, 2011

DREAD OF THE ALARM CLOCK

I'll admit it; I looked forward to my two week break from work. I shopped before Christmas, and, for the first time, I actually had everything wrapped BEFORE December 23rd. I don't believe that has ever happened before. I didn't mind waking to the alarm clock to bake eggnog bread and poppyseed bread; I didn't mind waking to the alarm clock to confront the crowds to find the perfect present for each person on my list. Even after Christmas was over, I didn't mind waking to the alarm to work on cleaning and reorganizing my home.

But,

when the alarm went off this morning to wake me for work, I groaned. I hit the snooze button and rolled over. The second alarm went off on a different alarm clock. I hit the snooze button and told the clock that it was rude to wake me when the sun had not risen yet. I was still tired; I hadn't slept well. I rarely sleep well the night before I have to go back to work.

I go to bed early, knowing that the alarms will go off early, but the eyes won't cooperate. They pop open and stare at the walls through the darkness. Then, when I finally drift off to sleep, I wake up within the hour, and every hour after that. I'm worried, worried that I'll oversleep and be late to work. I worry that we'll have a power outage and the alarms won't be on time to wake me.

I wish the world could truly work with people setting their own scheduled starting and quitting times. Then, I could rise with the sun, take my walk, and go to work relaxed and refreshed with my coffee in my hand. But since that is not reality, I'm ready of another night where I worry about waking up on time, but hating the alarm clocks that yell at me to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment