Saturday, January 1, 2011

NEW TRADITIONS

I feel like I have started a couple of new traditions for New Year's Day today. Last night my mother called and asked if my hubby and I wanted to go to the local Swedish restaurant for Swedish pancakes. I declined; I like mine better and had decided to make them for hubby and me this morning. So, I invited her to come over, watch the Rose Bowl Parade, and feast on homemade Swedish pancakes. Then, I thought that I would invite my two boys and their "friends."

As the sun rose this morning and the dog begged to go out, I put the bacon in the oven (Yes, that's right. I bake my bacon.) and pulled the mixer out to whip the eggs, add the rest of the ingredients for Swedish pancakes (There is a family secret to our better than restaurant recipe.), heat the skillet, and develop a New Year's Day tradition that will endure.

The Rose Bowl Parade entertained the family, and I worked my way through a triple recipe of batter. (Good thing my oldest and his girlfriend didn't show up. The five of us polished off all of the pancakes.)

With plenty of coffee, pancakes, bacon, juice, and fruit, we feasted on the first meal of the New Year. We oohed and ahhed over the floats that the cameramen focused on for our pleasure. At one point, a friend of my son's texted him with the following concept that will not repeat itself for one hundred years: It was 11:11 on January (1) first (1) in the year 2011 (11) - thus, 11:11 1/1/11.

Happy New Year to all, and to all a fantabulous year.

No comments:

Post a Comment