Sunday, November 27, 2011

THE DAWN OF DECEMBER

As November comes to a close in the next three days, I wonder where the past two months have gone. The days when the leaves change from greens to yellows and reds and oranges and then to browns. The days when the colorful mums decorate our lawns. The time when I enjoy the cooling crispness of the mornings.

Today as my husband left to drive a load eastward, the thermometer read 28. The rain that was falling should have been snow, but thankfully a cold drizzle persisted. As I look at the yards I pass, the lingering brown leaves that cling to the tree branches look lonely and cold as the wind tries to coax them to fall. Pumpkins left on a few porches look out of place as neighbors hang holiday lights with shivering hands.

It's hard to believe that we even looked forward to Thanksgiving except to have a few extra days off of work. Christmas and holiday decorations in many places were being set up before Halloween. Even Santa was making appearances by the middle of November. I was thankful that a few stores rebelled and waited until this weekend to display Christmas and the holidays.

My November will end with an orchestra concert. I started playing the violin in fifth grade and played through college. A couple of times between the end of college and last year, I had the opportunity to play with an orchestra. That, however, was a rare opportunity. Last fall, I decided to join a community orchestra. I have thoroughly loved the experience and the challenge. It will be a wonderful way the celebrate the end of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment