Saturday, November 26, 2011

THANKFULNESS (looking back on my Thanksgiving)

When I was a kid, we gathered as an extended family for major holidays as well as once or twice a month for birthdays. My family is very musical so when the food was ready for any occasion, we stood and sang "grace," my two aunts usually leading. Not only did we sing, we usually sang in harmony.

At Thanksgiving, however, we would also go around and give something we were thankful for: family, health, friends. I don't remember anyone ever saying that they were thankful for anything materialistic.

Our extended family celebrations fell to extinction as my generation's family size grew and my mother's and grandmother's have passed away. The last few years have been a transition from old traditions to new.

With my two boys on different schedules and my husband an OTR driver, we found that a Thanksgiving breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Nine of us gathered and shared food and conversation, and we actually took family pictures by the fireplace.

So, with that in mind, what am I thankful for? Lots of things.

*a loving husband who is also my friend
*two children who have grown to love and respect each other (True, there were times I thought they would never talk to each other again.)
*a loving mother who has become my friend
*the two wonderful women who love my boys for themselves
*my oldest son's significant other's two boys
*my two step-daughters
*my oldest step-daughter's three children (Although my husband and I haven't seen them since the oldest was six months old.)
*my cousins and aunts and uncles (Although I don't see enough of them.)

Family and traditions mean a great deal to me. Other than them, I am thankful for

*a job
*a roof over my head
*food on my table

So, what are you thankful for? Rather than just counting the things you are thankful for on Thanksgiving, it's important to be grateful every day of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment